Roll on the Summer Holidays!
Published: Sunday 5th Jul 2015
Written by: Leah Smith
Who doesn’t love Southwold in the summer?
The days are getting warmer and longer, and many are looking forward to their annual holiday in Southwold. There’s always a great choice of things to see and do here including these firm, family favourites:-
- Visit Southwold’s traditional Boating Lake complete with pedal boats to hire and a vintage-style tea pavilion serving a delicious selection of cakes, sandwiches and other treats. Why not watch the kids race around the lake, whilst you sit back and enjoy a scrummy cream tea?
- Devise your own Sandcastle Building Competition. See who can build the most impressive, sandy fortress, complete with a moat!
- Take a tranquil cruise on the River Blyth, passing through the Walberswick National Nature Reserve (NNR). Don’t forget to look out for a variety of birds, butterflies and wildlife – you may even spot Dorothy; the elusive seal!
- Take a stroll along Southwold Pier’s boardwalk. Visit the quirky, handmade inventions in the ‘Under the Pier Show’ or simply stroll right to the end and gaze out to sea. Why not treat yourself to an ice-cream?
- Pop across the river to Walberswick via the rowing-boat ferry or footbridge, grab a bucket, some bait and some juicy pieces of bacon and see who can catch the most crabs! Don’t forget to fill your bucket with water and let your critters go afterwards!